Jollof rice is a great nutritious meal that originated from the Senegalese culture and since its popularity, it has seen series of variants like the Ghanaian jollof and Nigerien jollof.
Its preparation is very easy to go ahead with and i’m going to show you how. First you need to have these ingredients available before you begin the cooking.
Jollof Rice Ingredients
- 3 cups of long grain parboiled rice
- 2-3 cups of tomato stew
- Chicken (any decent parts)
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 3 seasoning cubes
- 2 teaspoon of thyme
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- Prepare the tomato soup. It is better to prepare the tomato stew earlier on and store it in the freezer. This is so that at whatever point you need to cook any jollof rice related dish, its simply a question of adding it to your cooking.
- In the event that you will use chicken, at that point wash and cut it into pieces. Cook with the thyme, flavoring with onions. The cooking time relies upon the kind of chicken. The chicken or cockerel cooks a lot quicker than the hen yet the hen is certainly more delicious. At the point when done grill it in a stove or oven. You may likewise grill it. This is to give it a brilliant look which is progressively satisfactory particularly on the off chance that you have a visitor for supper.
- Parboil the rice using the technique detailed in parboiling rice for cooking jollof. Rinse the parboiled rice and put in a sifter to drain.
- Pour the chicken stock and the tomato stew into a sizeable pot and leave to bubble.
- Include the parboiled rice, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. The water level ought to be a similar dimension of the rice. This is to guarantee that all the water evaporates when the rice is cooked.
- Cover the pot and leave to cook on low medium warmth. Along these lines the rice does not burn before the water dries.
- In the event that you parboiled the rice as depicted before, the rice ought to be finished when the water is dry. Taste to affirm. If not, you should include more water and lessen the warmth to forestall consuming. Continue cooking till done.
- Present with fried plantain, salad or coleslaw.
Congratulations, your jollof rice is ready to be served. Please feel free to comment in the comments section and tell us your experiences.