Coconut rice is a specie of rice eaten everywhere in the world. It is a healthy and delicious meal especially when you use the really matured coconuts to prepare it.
Coconut rice has been existent across the world in Asia, Europe, Africa, America and even Australia because these regions support the climate to grow rice and coconut and these two go hand in hand. Lets get down to the ingredients used to prepare coconut rice.
- 420g of parboiled rice
- 400ml ofcoconut milk
- 400ml of chicken stock/broth
- 20 pieces of small shrimps
- 1 tatashe pepper
- 1 red onion
- A handful of sausage
- 1 big seasoning cube
- Habanero peppers
- Black pepper
- Green pea
- Green beans
These are the ingredients needed to prepare coconut rice. Before you begin, you have to make preparations. These preparations include;
- Get chicken stock from cooking chicken
- Extract the coconut milk from the coconut
- Parboil the “parboiled rice”. Add it to a pot of a sizable amount of boiling water and cook on norml heat for 10 minutes (this time is based on the quantity. More rice, more time). After parboiling, you should be able to cut the grain of rice with your finger nails without feeling any resistance or rubbery feel.
In case you don’t know how to parboil long grain parboiled rice, see these instructions.
How to Parboil long grain parboiled rice
- Parboiled rice contains lots of starch and is always hard. When you cook this rice as it is without first parboiling it, the starch content will make the rice sticky. The hard nature will hinder its absorption of water again leading to sticky and burnt rice when you are done cooking.
- When we parboil the rice, we reduce the starch content and some of it is poured away so our rice can be crispy.
- Parboiling also softens the rice to enable it absorb water easily.
- If parboiled correctly, the rice will completely absorb the amount of water that is at the same level with the rice.
- When okay with your rice, pour in a sifter and rinse with plenty of water to cool it down. Leave the rice to drain.
- Dice the peppers and cut green beans into pieces.
- Cut the onions
- Parboil the shrimps and peel them depending on how you like them.
Now that you know how to parboil the long grain parboiled rice, lets get started with directions on how to cook our coconut rice.
Cooking Directions for Coconut Rice
- Pour the chicken stock and coconut milk into a sizable pot. Remember that the rice will regularly rise by something like one fourth of its amount from the parboiled state to the done state.
- Include the dark pepper. Close the pot and begin cooking till it bubbles.
- Include the parboiled rice, mix and add salt to taste. Now the water ought to be at same level with the rice. If not, top it with water. On the chance that water is substantially more than the rice, you will finish up with soggy coconut rice.
- Cover the pot and start cooking on normal heat.
- When the water dries to exactly the same level, then add shrimps, and continue cooking.
- When the water is almost dry, add the soft ingredients such as onions, green beans and green peas etc.
- Cover and keep cooking till all the water dries up. If you parboiled the rice correctly, it should be done soon.
- Stir with a spatula till all the ingredients are well mixed and That’s it.
Now that’s all to do and your coconut rice is ready to be served with steamed leafy veggies if needed. Please feel free to share in the comments section how you did your cooking.