A vaginal Yeast Infection: Is a type of vaginitis — inflammation of the vagina characterized by vaginal irritation, intense itchiness and vaginal discharge. A vaginal yeast infection affects your vagina and the tissues at the opening to your vagina (vulva). So endeavor to change your sets of panties and bra always at least once in three months.
Vaginal yeast infection also called vaginal candidiasis is very common. As many as 3 out of 4 women experience a yeast infection at some point in their lifetimes. Many women experience two or more yeast infections.
A vaginal yeast infection isn’t considered a sexually transmitted infection, although the fungus that causes the condition can be spread through oral-genital contact.
Symptoms of Vaginal Yeast Infection:
Yeast infection symptoms can range from mild to moderate and include;
- Itching and irritation in the vagina and at the entrance to the vagina (vulva).
- A burning sensation, especially during intercourse or while urinating.
- Redness and swelling of the vulva.
- Vaginal pain and soreness.
- Thick, white, odor-free vaginal discharge with a cottage cheese appearance.
Causes of Vaginal Yeast Infection:
A vaginal yeast infection is caused by the fungus candida. Candida is a micro-organism that’s normally present in your vagina, along with bacteria.
Your vagina naturally contains a balanced mix of yeast and bacteria. Lactobacillus bacteria produce acid, which discourages overgrowth of yeast in the vagina. But disruption of the healthy balance can result in an overgrowth of yeast. Too much yeast in your vagina can lead to vaginal itching, burning, and other classic signs and symptoms of a yeast infection.
Basic Preventive Tips:
- Drink plenty water everyday so as to wash bacteria and infections out of your body.
- Take your bath at least 2 times everyday especially when you’re menstruating.
- Always wash your vagina after sex to avoid odor.
- Don’t wash your vagina with any kind of soap. Clean water alone is enough.
- Always shave your armpits and pubic hairs
- As a lady, take lots of yogurts and pineapple as it helps in making the vagina healthy.
- Use good pads during menstruation and change it when it is full
- Endeavor ti change your panties and bra at least in every three months